Musically Speaking

Musical misadventures of a vintage rock goddess...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Interesting Article from The Age today.

This article in The Age Newspaper today got me thinking....

In it, Toby Creswell, rock writer and author of "1000 Songs: The Great Songs of All Time and the Artists, Stories and Secrets Behind Them" is quoted as nominating his top three songs of the 80s as Paul Simon's "You Can Call me Al", Bob Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody" and Stephen Cumming's "She Set Fire to the House". All great songs, but I have to admit they're probably not the first that come to anyone's mind as top 80's songs!

The 80s was the era of the one-hit-wonder...does ANYONE actually remember Kajagoogoo; and the makeover of previously successful artists - think Rod Stewart and Tina Turner; there were hundreds of really good songs! Please bear in mind I was a hairdresser in the 80's so the term hairdo music really sits well with me...Flock of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, Aha, The Human League, Howard Jones, Tears For Fears, I loved them all!

Now surely we can come up with songs that mean more to us as our indicator of what 80's music held for us...How about Prince - When Doves Cry, U2 - Anything from the Joshua Tree Album (all great songs) something from REM perhaps, or Paul Kelly...., Split Enz, Mondo Rock's "Come Said the Boy" was one of my favourites, the possibilities are endless!

Please add a comment telling me what YOUR top picks are for 80's music....either top Australian picks or top picks general! You choose!

I look forward to reading your lists!

We can cover other eras later!

3 Comments:

Blogger bimberi said...

Tannia,

Without thinking too hard I'd have to say that the following Australian songs would appear on my list

Man Overboard by Do Re Mi
Short Memory by Midnight Oil
Anything off Spy V Spy self titled album

I'm sure that there is more. I'll comment again when I have thought more deeply.

Stu

9:52 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chose these 3

1. Ashes to ashes, David Bowie
2. Total Control, The Motels
3. Science Fiction, The Divinyls

Honourable mentions to In Between Days and Ship Of Fools

All in all the 80s is not one of my favourite periods for music though!

10:53 am AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gold, Spandau Ballet
This Monkeys Gone To Heavens, The Pixies
Song From Under The Floorboards, Magazine

5:14 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

<< Home