Musically Speaking

Musical misadventures of a vintage rock goddess...

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Black and Blue

I wandered over to the OZ hotel (Dryburgh Street in North Melbourne) last night to check out the Black and Blue band and was pleasantly surprised...for lots of reasons.

Firstly, beacuse I hadn't ever been to this pub before and was surprised that it was so...how to say this...clean and light!! I had previous visions of dark and dingy and the ever-present expectation of extremely sticky carpet...there was none to be had here! There was no sneaking in and standing up the back so I had to puff out my chest take a deep breath, walk in and sit right in the front!


Those of you who know me well will know of my obsession with clean toilets will also be happy to know that I was very impressed with the amenities at the Oz!

Now I got there late (well it was only 9 pm, but the band had started early!) so I only got to see one set - but they were really very good and the boys were obviously having a great time. The singer Steve has a really great gravelly blues voice and I am looking forward to hearing some more! I've not listened to a lot of the blues genre recently, but toddled off home to do some research because I liked what I heard.

I've heard all the 'popular' stuff like Zed Zed Top (hee hee the Australian pronunciation that I head last night) - apparently it it was an US-free zone last night!! No Mateweiser beer to be had either!

Black and Blue are playing there again next week (and every Friday nght) and another mutual friend Jen Carrol will join them for an acoustic set early and I must admit I am so excited to be able to hear her perform - she's a sensational vocalist.

The acoustic set will start around 6 (perfect to drop in on the way home from work) and then the boys will carry on till about 10-ish. A great way to start off your big Friday night - a meal in the bistro and some good music - you can then wander off into town and have a large night out!

I'm sure though once the boys gain a bit of a following they will play a little longer....

See you there next week :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home