Musically Speaking

Musical misadventures of a vintage rock goddess...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Big band...Big Music

Tonight I took Mum and Dad to one of my very favourite places in Melbourne (at least on a Tuesday night anyway!)

Every Tuesday night at the Rising Sun Hotel in South Melbourne (on the corner of Raglan Street and some other street I can't remember), the 17 piece Downbeat Big Band is in residence. On alternating Tuesdays, Bobby Valentine and Andy Free sing and tonight was the night for Andy! This band is also great! All the brass you could want for your Tuesday night, plus some. It's kind of a rotating line-up so you see some different faces each week, there are a few regulars, all of them with absolutely NO personality can I say - well that's not entirely true - they're a very funny bunch! Musically, all your old swing favourites and a few modern ones thrown in for good measure.

Personally I like Andy's singing the best. (although this doesn't get me any free drinks - no matter how much I say it!)

If you like your music big and brassy - get along to the Riser on a Tuesday! Tell Andy and/or Bob I said hi!

As a bonus - the food is great too and I can recommend the Grant Burge Shiraz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home