Musically Speaking

Musical misadventures of a vintage rock goddess...

Monday, July 10, 2006

You Am I @ The Forum

Chris kindly sent me a review of Saturday's You Am I gig at the Forum.

"It's thuggery!, It's thuggery!"

It certainly was an all amped up powerful performance by the lads on Saturday night. After starting with a big thanks for coming and mentioning that the night before gig was sold out you could be forgiven for thinking that Timmy was going to simply go through the motions and play a 75% set to the 75% filled Forum Theatre.

Instead they ripped into Convicts at break neck pace. The songs sounded like they have been part of the set for years, faultless display. "It Ain't Funny How We Don't Talk Anymore", "Friends Like You", "Thuggery"," Nervous Kid" all highlights.

Despite the efforts of said gent next to me yelling out "Damage!" at the conclusion of each song there was no "Damage!" on offer, just a very sore throat I suspect for one punter Sunday morning. Timmy gave some great insight to one such punter requesting another song,

"Listen mate when we are supporting your band in 6 months time you can tell us what to play, until then it's Timmy time."

It certain was Timmy time, and a great time for any You Am I fan. Notable corkers included, "Cathy's Clown", "Jewels and Bullets," "Good Morning", "Soldiers", "Baby Clothes", "Hourly Daily". Finally what would a You Am I concert be without a rip snorter such as "Berlin Chair".

It was black leather jacket night for the lads, obviously the Fonz e-mail didn't reach the inbox of one Davey Lane, he was wearing a lovely white suit number, certainly didn't detract from some mean guitar work. I was sceptical when they included a 2nd guitarist since "Dress Me Slowly" but Davey Lane certainly proved his worth to the sound, plus you can tell he loves playing as part of You Am I, who wouldn't? Clearly one of the best live bands going around.

Notable highlights, the end of The Vandas set that I saw and parts of The Drones , I suspect these guys haven't seen a rider this big before and treated like it was all you could eat at Smorgies!

Oh and the You Am I merchandise was ingenious, AFL footy scarfs, in all team colours, with You Am I woven into them, gold.

Chris - I want a piccie of you in your scarf...did they come in a Maroons version too?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home